Saturday, January 29, 2011

A few more dinner recipes...


Salisbury Steak

I found this recipe in the Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. It wasn't the prettiest presentation because the meat tended to fall apart, but it still tasted very good. I probably could have packed the meat a bit tighter when making the patties. I omitted the mushroom steps because I didn't have them on hand (and Nick won't eat them). We actually froze half of the patties and soup mixture for a later dinner.

1 can golden mushroom soup, undiluted and divided
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onions (I used dried)
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (i omitted)
1/3 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp pepper

  • Combine 1/4 cup soup, beef, and the next 3 ingredients; stir well. Shape mixture into 6 (1/2 inch) patties
  • Brown patties in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove patties, discarding half of pan drippings. Cook mushrooms in remaining drippings in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Combine remaining soup, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper; add to mushroom mixture
  • Return patties to skillet; bring to a boil.
  • Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Yields 6 servings

Easy Chicken Casserole

This recipe is one of our favorite go-to recipes for a busy night. Not a gourmet meal, but one that we like to eat at least 2 times a month. We usually have all of the ingredients on hand, and I even tend to cook and shred chicken in batches for the freezer ahead of time. This makes putting together casseroles and soups a breeze when you already have the chicken cooked and shredded.

3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz sour cream
1 stick of melted butter
2 rolls of crushed ritz crackers

  • Cook and shred chicken. Combine soups and sour cream in a saucepan, mix well and heat to combine.
  • In a separate bowl, melt butter and add crushed ritz crackers
  • In 9x13 casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the cracker mixture, chicken, soup mixture, and top with other 1/2 of the crackers
  • Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, or until hot and lightly browned.
We usually serve with green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment